I would like to learn...

Prototyping Techniques

I would like to see a YouTube video or some other lesson on the basics of prototyping an idea. Do's and don'ts. Tricks of the trade. Show an example of taking a basic idea, writing down some decisions, and then quickly prototyping a scene or something.

Should we use basic primitives? How much scripting and debugging should go into it? How long does it take?

More importantly, let's say you have a prototype (or even a complex prototype that you found suitable enough to get some basic playtesting done)... I'm interested in the process of taking it and turning it into a game.

Is it best to start from scratch and just reuse assets where you can? Or are there steps you could take during the prototyping process to make the process easier for yourself later on? Is there a checklist of stuff you want to be sure to handle?

Like, I see how you can very simply take your prototype sounds and replace them with real sounds. That seems like it would get harder when it comes to art and object positioning and animation events and stuff like that. Even your scripts seem like there'd be a lot of intermingling with other scripts so they would be hard to work on one at a time. Should I use some kind of wrapper or something to replicate the prototype feedback until enough interlocking scripts are ready to put them into place? See, I don't even know if I'm framing the quesiton right.

It just seems like it would be a big process if I went from colored cubes that show simple game events to suddenly trying to add art and physics and AI and stuff.

I'm just curious if there are tips, techniques, processes, and methodologies that make that process easier, or on the other side of it, if there are mindsets and novice-practices that should be avoided. Basically, what's your prototyping advice? And what's your advice when it's time to move beyond the prototype stage?

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AnthonyAnthony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...