I would like to learn...

3D Model Mastery - Preparing Blender Models For Unity

Live on Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/unityassets

Whilst putting together a game asset pack it preparation for future course became apparent that importing assets and setting them up correctly in your project can be a real pain.

I have so far dissected the process for Unity5, Unreal4 and CryEngine5 and realised there is scope for a course on this itself.

All of the course will be possible using Free Software

The course scope will focus on just Unity initially with scope for additional engines to be covered in either this course or a separate course depending on the workflow differences.

You'll be able to setup your assets so that they work in each of the game engines.

The Course would go in depth into UV unwrapping using Blender and assignment of textures.
Exporting of your model and textures.
Appropriate naming and folder structures for the target engine.
Creation of a reusable asset in any of your projects.

The course would be an intermediate level focused on and therefore would not likely cover in detail the process of:
*Making Models,
*Rigging a Model,
*Creating Animations,
*Creating Textures.
It would however, cover using those and what it is important to get right for use in game engines.

Let me know what you think, what you would like to see included!

276 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael BridgesAdminMichael Bridges (Admin, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KyleKyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on when this is being released? Can't see it on Udemy unless I am being stupid... really looking forward to this one guys!

• Nicholas JohnNicholas John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea, its where I struggle. The whole reason for me taking the blender course was so I could make simple models for my games, and whilst i've succeeded in making models, I feel I lack experience using them with unity.

• Michael BridgesAdminMichael Bridges (Admin, GameDev.TV) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Steve Jones: Certainly, more wood to the fire help us produce focused courses. What other game engines would you want to see?

@Darren McBain: I'm with you here, there's a lot more I want to teach. I Think these intermediate courses will fill our needs!

• Darren McBainDarren McBain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Mikey.

Nice idea, and from my perspective, a good progression to what was my long term goal for taking the blender course initially. There is definitely alot more content than I was expecting with the blender course and thorougly enjoy it, but this could solidify the finer details.

• Michael BridgesAdminMichael Bridges (Admin, GameDev.TV) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Michael, I'm actually using substance painter at the moment as my main texturing program and then bringing it back into Blender.

If we can get enough Votes on it I can start focusing on the details :)

• Michael HazaniMichael Hazani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes! As well as texturing with PBR in mind, emulating PBR in Blender (until 2.8 comes out and fully supports it), baking normal maps, AO, roughness, metallic... For extra points: a Blender-Substance Painter/designer workflow (although the above should cover most of it).

I've said it once and I'll say it again: I'll gladly throw money at a Michael Bridges-style breakdown of that entire workflow:)

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome Michael!! Really hope you make this section mate..no one can teach like you! I think almost everyone that learns Blender has an interest in making game assestts at some pint, i think this would be a super valuable addition to the course for sure mate!

• MilanMilan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually very interesting for me as my end goal is asset creation and optimization for various game engines. I would however include Lumberyard. It's free and is based on Cryengine. Plus, as it's new and growing, I believe it holds great potential for asset creators. I have however not seen the reviews or capabilities and how it compares to the other engines yet.

• Margaret DeanMargaret Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this course. It is the next logical step.

I have only completed a quarter of the Blender modelling course so far, but I am already looking ahead to other courses offered by Ben and Michael that will advance my knowledge further. This one is top of my wishlist.

Putting my vote in for a course that is not Unity specific in its workflow, but also covers Unreal Engine.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally this process in a course would be amazing:
        MakeHuman > Blender > Armature + Rigify > Unity > Controlling + Animating Model

I've worked out most of this already. I have got my model and rig into Unity. I still need to figure out how to make it move sensibly. It took me a while to work this out but I think others would enjoy working with this as well.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base