I would like to learn...

3D Model Mastery - Preparing Blender Models For Unity

Live on Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/unityassets

Whilst putting together a game asset pack it preparation for future course became apparent that importing assets and setting them up correctly in your project can be a real pain.

I have so far dissected the process for Unity5, Unreal4 and CryEngine5 and realised there is scope for a course on this itself.

All of the course will be possible using Free Software

The course scope will focus on just Unity initially with scope for additional engines to be covered in either this course or a separate course depending on the workflow differences.

You'll be able to setup your assets so that they work in each of the game engines.

The Course would go in depth into UV unwrapping using Blender and assignment of textures.
Exporting of your model and textures.
Appropriate naming and folder structures for the target engine.
Creation of a reusable asset in any of your projects.

The course would be an intermediate level focused on and therefore would not likely cover in detail the process of:
*Making Models,
*Rigging a Model,
*Creating Animations,
*Creating Textures.
It would however, cover using those and what it is important to get right for use in game engines.

Let me know what you think, what you would like to see included!

277 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael BridgesAdminMichael Bridges (Admin, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamie HurtJamie Hurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Learn how to master Unity-based animation techniques including mechanim, timeline/keyframe based .anim, imported blend shapes, and imported bone-rig animations.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super important, as most of the skills learned in this will be easily transferable. As much as I'd love to see an Isometric game like Diablo as a tutorial - I think the idea here is to learn how to make games. Not get our hand held through a tutorial extensive as an RPG tutorial.

This would be fantastic. +3

• R.C. EppsR.C. Epps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I am well on my way to creating great games after taking the unity and blender courses. I find that my lack of animation skills/knowledge is holding me back. I can do basic 2d bone based animations, but creating walk cycles, jump animations, and other action based animation is not something I've learned. For instance, I have just modelled a fox for a project I'm working on. I have very little knowledge to work with for rigging, skinning, and animating a quadruped let alone a humanoid.

Forward kinematics, inverse kinematics, bone constraints, weight painting, Fumbling around youtube to learn these things has gotten me nowhere. It seems to be a no compete market at the moment as I can't seem to find any Udemy courses that focus on creating animations for games within blender. A dedicated course to animating game assets is something I would greatly like to see on the content roadmap.

• Mario EstrellaMario Estrella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We learned some of the basics with the animated lamp, it would be great to be able to really bring out scenes to life with sound and maybe even some voice effects.

• KarleenKarleen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modelling, rigging and animations (walk, run and idle) of a fully functional human character suitable for importing into game engines for third person RPGs or as a general game asset.

• SithilaSithila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Develop an advanced Third person player controller with Root motion movement with an IK system for feet and hands(for weapon grip position). Adding secondary motion (sway, breathing over running or idle animation) to base animation in Animation Blueprint. Eg: The Division, Uncharted, SplinterCell, MGSV

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base