I would like to learn...

The Complete Unity Developer 2017

We'd love to update the Unity course completely, same projects but in the latest version of Unity and with 1000s of small improvements.

This would start in Unity 5.4 or higher, and we would upgrade during the production of the course (e.g. if Unity 6 ships)

The only way we can afford to do this is create a different course, and offer it as an upgrade.

Would be $10 to upgrade for existing Complete Unity Developer students.

393 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CamCam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to these being towards the start of the Complete Unity Developer course I see importance in these being up to date. At this stage of the course many students will not be capable of converting obsolete APIs themselves and that difficulty curve could turn them off the rest of the course.

I also think having reworked sections could allow for tighter, or more intelligent, polished solutions to those projects. Sam probably brings a different perspective and fresh eyes.

Those things said, I have far more interest in new courses such as the AI and pathfinding course, so if it didn't take away from a new resource I am absolutely all for it. I'd go back and do Laser Defender again if it were a fresh take on it!

• TonyTony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been sidetracked and not had chance to use unity in a while. so I will be restarting the course as a refresher before continuing the later lectures.

So this would be very useful for me.

• Alex BrownAlex Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a good idea, at least the updating it to 5.3, more for ease of making use of the latest version and bring it up to speed a bit. version 5 was quite a major release and updating it may help the course last a bit longer before once again becoming out of date. I understand this is a lot of work, so I am totally happy if you decide against doing this. I'm not sure much is required in the way of polish, the early part of the course is pretty well done, the only real caveat is the changes in the API which might trip some people up if they don't understand the changes. The really early parts like the text adventure and guess the number games could possibly be left as they are, this hasn't changed at all from what I understand, it is only really block breaker and laser defender which would need modification :)

1 2 3 4 6 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base