I would like to learn...

The Complete Unity Developer 2017

We'd love to update the Unity course completely, same projects but in the latest version of Unity and with 1000s of small improvements.

This would start in Unity 5.4 or higher, and we would upgrade during the production of the course (e.g. if Unity 6 ships)

The only way we can afford to do this is create a different course, and offer it as an upgrade.

Would be $10 to upgrade for existing Complete Unity Developer students.

393 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CamCam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the sounds of that Ben. I'd be down with that. Although I guess if you're putting it through the YT channel a discount doesn't work anymore, right?

• Hks JosephHks Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank You. Please remake the Test Driven Development section. That was too hard for me

• PetePete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be awesome! cant wait to see an updated version with the brand new Unity 2017.x !

• Marco GregoryMarco Gregory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An upgrade is a good idea. As many have said different content/games would be a good plan, but that may not tie in with new users. The beginner content is very good, in my opinion, but obviously based on unity 4; but does that really matter. sure new starters will be keen to have the latest version, but they don't really need it straight away.
        I would like to see updated content, maybe after block breaker and onward. I would also like to see a platformer, just saying!
        But yeah I would pay ten bucks, even if I didn't need the beginner stuff again.
        Do it Ben!!

• MochnantMochnant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be willing to upgrade to a new version of the course with updated course materials, but I'd suggest using different games to encourage people to retake it. Doing the same games again in a slightly different way may not be enough of a draw.

• David John CorpuzDavid John Corpuz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it woild be a great Idea. However if you plan on doing this come 2017 some 5.3 or updated Unity course might spring up in udemy and those potential students that might be intereted in your course will just flock to that course instead of you getting the full benefit of being the most comprehensive an DATED course that udemy has to offer in terms of Unity Development.

• RilifaenRilifaen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I would probably not want to redo all the games I went through in the past even if they got updated, but I would love to see some new ones with new mechanics to be taught (and gladly paid more than $10 if it weren't some astronomical value).

Personally, I have always wanted to create some sort of 2D point and click adventure. They use simple enough mechanics ("click here to load another scene"), but still contains some things I have a hard time learning fully on my own, like inventory system, dialogue system and main character pathfinding (if you decide for 3rd person view), thus a great potential for a course section.

To me, this is similar to a decision between seeing a remake of an older movie which I loved, and seeing a brand new movie I am curious about and eager to delve into.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most valuable things about this course has been the fact that it's up to date, where so much Unity content (including their own tutorials!!!) isn't. I teach Unity and I send my students here for that reason.

I'd personally pay $10-20 for the update, and I'd continue to send 20-40 students per semester to the course. If it gets too far out of date, I'll have to look for something else.

• MrSoundMaxxMrSoundMaxx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ben. The course is a good course. I have gotten more than my original payment out of it. To pay 10 dollars more to get it updated to the current Unity would be great. There are so many things that have changed and really not much info out there on it.... yet.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ben, Great work and great support.

I will definitely pay for an extra (even more than $10) in the Unreal Course. Either as an extension of the current one or as a new Unreal Course.
        I would like to see more of C++ and new game type (a platform game (mario galaxy :-) or a car racing game).

Although all the suggestion posted here are great suggestions.

• Raistlin_MajereRaistlin_Majere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ben, I love the idea of updating the course but I am nearing the point where I would like to delv deep into learning things like the following. I will order them from decending from most important to me. If others would like to se the same or similar subject mater as I, I would love to see some replies to this comment. BTW the forst item on my list is exponentially more Important, in my opinion.

Code Organization--> such as advanced inheritance and polymorphism.

Performance optimization.

Object pooling.

.NET framework/CLR and how to apply that knowledge to scripting in Unity.

As always Thank You for the knowledge.

p.s. I would gladly pay 200 or 300 quid for a course like that.

• durveshdurvesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having strong grip over design patterns is dream of all programmers and having it learn with practical use cases in game dev would be awesome for us as a game developers.

• DeloricDeloric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like more info on pathing, and I'm not sure the terminology, but procedurally built levels with auto pathing through it, similar to Nonstop Knight.

The levels can be made with prefabs right?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base