I would like to learn...

RPG Game like Sacred or Diablo in Unity

Community Discussion: https://community.gamedev.tv/t/rpg-game-like-sacred-or-diablo-in-unity/148

RPG Game like Sacred or Diablo in Unreal

Classic old fashioned game as Sacred or Diablo.
1) AI monster
2) Day-Night cycle
3) Questing system
4) Inventory System
5) Crafting System
6) Profession System
7) Different Heroes (Mage, Warrior ...)

838 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

169 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CamCam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Jack. So long as it has a strong focus on the RPG elements, I don't think it needs to be over complicated. Something like Stardew Valley would be fine!

• TrevorTrevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really excited to the inventory system. There aren't good enough sources about it. I can't wait for this course to launch.

• Felipe CoradesqueFelipe Coradesque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merged with "Game code architecture and patterns for Unity."

Wouldn't be awsome if we could learn some standard solutions for game design and game programming?

We just got a litte bit of it with the "state machine" and the "singleton" in the Unity course but I'm sure that there is much more to learn about!

• Logan LuxLogan Lux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Game code architecture and patterns for Unity."
        I'm originally a designer, not a coder, so I'd love to learn from the ground up how to think through and design Unity games and apps the correct way from an architectural standpoint. I'm thinking specifically of a course that would expand the ideas of the refactoring we're doing 3/4 of the way through the Unity Masterclass 10 Pin Bowling.

In my mind, this course would be a series of very simple games/apps that need to be created, then we would walk through the thought process and development of the code structure. All of this is sprinkled throughout the Unity Masterclass, but this would be unique in that it would be approaching it from a code architecture "how would we build this type of game/app" view that surveys 5-10 of the major design patterns coders use today.

• ClayClay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is somethign i would be very much interested in, especially if you added procedural generation of levels.

• yoannyoann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that as a general rule, considering how little a team you have and the time it takes to make a new big course, your strategy should adapt.
        The dream for everyone would be i guess to have new content more often. But making a big course like Wallbreaker must take what, 4 weeks of planning ahead, 3 weeks of filming and tweaking, one week of editing? You tell me.
        I was wondering if it would be possible to have also in the meantime some much smaller case studies, that could be made in a much much smaller timeframe and even format. I am thinking for example : "this thursday, we go into calling an item's property from a database" or "Creating more accurate collisions between a character and a prop", etc. Something that you could plan in a few hours/max 2-3 days, and then maybe broadcast live? Note that i have no idea about how long it would take for these specific subjects, they are just examples :p.

I started a complete beginner with your course, and went up to zombie runners. I would be incapable of redoing any of the projects all by myself, but i understand well enough to expand any of them with my creativity, which is key i believe.
        So by giving us smaller bricks that we can add to these biggy projects, we could continue to toy with these big principles, tweak and expand them.

This is probably all a non realistic idea, but i thought it was worth sharing :p.

• CamCam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Calm down, Bernhard. The status says "refining", which indicates Ben and team are working on some details. Courses like these aren't just generated by pressing a big red button, they take a lot of planning and consideration. I'm sure Ben will let us know in due time, when he knows himself and can manage expectations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base