I would like to learn...

RPG Game like Sacred or Diablo in Unity

Community Discussion: https://community.gamedev.tv/t/rpg-game-like-sacred-or-diablo-in-unity/148

RPG Game like Sacred or Diablo in Unreal

Classic old fashioned game as Sacred or Diablo.
1) AI monster
2) Day-Night cycle
3) Questing system
4) Inventory System
5) Crafting System
6) Profession System
7) Different Heroes (Mage, Warrior ...)

838 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

169 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Flying KatsuFlying Katsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah, forgot to mention in my last comment, that another reason to opt for database backend is to further protect game data from the prying eyes of your players. It's still not a completely protected method though (if you can access it, then presumably so can they), and it requires internet access which is not always a great idea.

• Flying KatsuFlying Katsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my experience, database backend is really only necessary if you need to load content from a server (like your own patches/updates or user-to-user interactions). Exactly which database protocol to use depends on what kind of data relationships you want to store, how often you need to read/write data, and how consistent you need the data read/writes to be.

For most other cases, saving to local files is usually enough. Popular formats are JSON or XML, for which you can usually find serializers (think "translators") included in your programming language or environment packages. These formats are good for nested data which would otherwise be split across several tables (or files) if stored in a database-like format.

Another popular format is CSV or TSV, which are pretty easy to write your own parsers for (and your environment may have built-in parsers for these as well). Unlike JSON or XML, the CSV and TSV formats are similar to most database formats, which makes them easy to edit (as with a spreadsheet app) or load into an existing database.

If you're concerned about users tampering with the local files, there are ways to encrypt files as hex or binary, but anyone determined enough to try can still unencrypt them. One way around this is to store salted hashes of your data files in a validation file, and check for matching hashes when loading from the files.

• AnthonyAnthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure this has to be covered somewhere, but I don't know where or when. I would be interested in learning more about how data for games is stored in seperate files and accessed in play. Save game data. Character customization data. Mod data. Username and password data. Dialog data.

Do we need or is it helpful to learn database principles? Should we learn another "database language" or program?

I think this idea might also incorporate the "essence" of a lot of other scattered and isolated topics and I think we could use some discussion on how games use data, what kind of data to save, how data is accessed, why we use offline files to store data... but tied to gaming (or specific games) so that it's fun and practical.

This can also address many other minor suggestions that have come up in the past, including:

Social Media Feed & UI Interaction
        Customization Systems
        Complete TCG (Trading Card Game)
        BackEnd For Gaming
        Networked Asynchronous Mobile Game

• AnthonyAnthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, Level Design is such a nightmare!
        Looking for more ways to do procedural generation. Not looking forward to level design.

• Carlo MontoyaCarlo Montoya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Unity/C# object oriented design (including patterns) and how it's implemented in code
        2. Efficient code (e.g., Code Complete concepts in Unity)
        3. Path finding algorithms (in 2D, isometric, 3D)
        4. Virtual intelligence or learning 'enemies', flocking algorithms
        5. Managing large game worlds (not all will fit in computer memory so how to seamlessly load new sections of the game world without players noticing)
        6.Advanced physics (leaves falling, water splashes, skeletal kinematics, etc.)
        7. Automated unit testing
        8. Rule based games (Heroclix, e.g., how will the game know a player's move is valid based on current rules?)
        9. Saving/loading states
        10. State based music, if nothing exciting is happening - relaxing music but when fighting starts, adrenaline inducing music

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can this idea be coupled with "Infrastructure for game development and public release"? (http://help.gamedev.tv/forums/356757-content-suggestions/suggestions/17593408-infrastructure-for-game-development-and-public-rel)

The idea is to have a engine-independent knowledge of game architecture and design, frequently the design patterns used in devlopment are linked to the actual architecture (client-server or only client, launcher or not etc ?)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, as detailed as black dessert would be awesome ! Its has a lot of options, and I have no idea how to add them

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to learn that too!
        It could also be a good way of creating base NPCs that you could then re-import in Blender to work on some details?

• Aron MarczyloAron Marczylo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to learn this idea for certain later projects. If all things go my way I might get a place on a game team who are working in their spare time and learn from them for their MMO, however this would also be perfect to have as well anyway.

I have many ideas for games that'll need this.

• Rico BartoschakRico Bartoschak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just soooo sad you are doing this in the inferior unity engine instead of an aaa engine... And if this game won't have any Coop Multiplayer then what is the point? (Unet is the worst netcode there is) - I hope you include at least MP Coop for this...

I'll happily back the next Unreal project you guys will do.

• CamCam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pledged immediately. So pumped!

What's the Moneisation ideas.png [sic] about?

• Margaret DeanMargaret Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following on Kickstarter. Wallet at the ready. Super excited.

Support Steam platform but cannot vote on your Facebook poll, so registering my preference here.

Also a big vote for a Baldur's gate type narratively deep story. I love action rpgs like Diablo and Sacred, but classic story-driven rpgs are way better. And the CRPG is making a huge come-back right now (Divinity: original sin, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny etc)

• Eric PhillipsEric Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Amur This will be a completely separate course from the Unity one. @TonCoder He said before that you can pick up and go right into this course if you have completed the glitch garden section of the Unity course. So this will not be another intro.

• Eric PhillipsEric Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Woohoo! Can't wait! Heading to vegas this week, but I'll make sure to keep enough money aside to support the cause!

• TonCoderTonCoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, just wondering, but this is not going to be an intro to C# type of project right? I figure it would be more of an advance level of things that you assume the user already knows how to code in C#.??

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base