I would like to learn...

Learn C++ By Making Games - The Complete Unreal Developer

LIVE ON UDEMY: https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse

Game development & design made fun. Learn C++ from scratch using Unreal 4. Build your first 3D games for PC, console, and VR.

356 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GusGus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

8) Accuracy/damage/bullet deviation
        9) Maybe multiplayer implementation
        10) I'd love to see some basic stealth mechanics
        11) Animation implementation

• GusGus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see a first person game made for the Unreal course with some or all of the below.

1) General first person controls with WASD, mouse look, and jumping
        2) Shooting and hit detection
        3) Gun mechanics like aim down sights and reload
        4) Some sort of AI
        5) Switching, dropping, and picking up weapons/items
        6) Maybe switching between first and third person
        7) Health

First person games are super popular and I think they'd also help explain some popular game mechanics.

• Dave WilsonDave Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*fast paced ;) :P

I really want this, since there is no real "great" video course on the internet, dealing with this.

I think it is more advanced than the stuff in which is in the actucal course, but I haven't bought it yet, due to being broke XD
        If the series will deal with it later, I think it will be one of the best investions of my life :D:D

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imo the unreal engine is THE (!) engine for fast paces shooters.
        I know that there are already plenty of tutorials (imo not that really in depth tbh), but I would like to see something dealing with this.
        Stuff like weapon types, armor, hitreg zones, networking/replication (etc...).
        Also anticheat might be something interesting regarding that this is one of the biggest problem in skill based games today.

• HarryHarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 , one of the few ideas on this board, that is not project specific .
        I thought this would already be included in the course, saving data is bred n butta for any developer :)

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent news, thanks Ben! :) - I'm really enjoying the course so far! :)

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's sometimes ambiguous as to when the workflow would be better with Blueprint or C++, what optimisation gains can be achieved from moving Blueprint into C++.

This short section should detail how to assess a feature(s) scope, affect on performance, and whether it would be best to:

- Implement in Blueprint and leave it that way
        - Prototype in Blueprint and eventually move partially to C++ (i.e. create new Blueprint nodes)
        - "" "" eventually move entirely to C++
        - Prototype and keep entirely in C++

• JonasJonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! Maybe Ben could also include saving the Settings in a game, if settings should even be stored in a savegame file. I am not sure if the UGameInstance persists if the game is closed. So maybe the user's settings should be stored in UGameInstance instead of a Savegame.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I come from a software engineering background. So I'm used to needing to code my interfaces. Like creating custom widgets, overriding the ondraw events and for every frame of animation you might want to move a box to the left you have to have a rect object that you change its x,y and apply that with canvas draw functions.

I dont know how UIs themselves work in Unreal hence why I put up this idea since I saw this page and it looks like quite a bit of C++ to build a UI in the method of how I've done custom ui widgets in the past with android or wxWidgets. I assume UMG is some kind of blueprints for ui, which I'm not at all interested in either.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/HUD,_Canvas,_Code_Sample_of_800%2B_Lines,_Create_Buttons_%26_Draw_Materials#Buttons

So there you go, C++ and UI development. All I'm saying while we're learning to build a UI, lets make it pretty. Its the artist in me, if I make something function really well, I want it to look good while doing it.

• Victor BurgosVictor Burgos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is C++ for Unreal, not Art Course... :( And UMG is definitely not C++, although I suppose it could be easily tied into it like in Battery Collector. But still. Man, so many delays already as is from learning C++ in Unreal via the Ben way.

Create UI that flows well into the game. For example, i really enjoy the UI menu system used in the division. Having the background blurred while having the char you control standing next to a simple yet good looking menu system for changing the character, be it clothes or weapons.

Also, ways to seamlessly give the user direction of what to do like how splinter cell does it. These sort of things stand out to me, its like the devs went the extra mile to improve how the user interacts with the information they need to progress in the game.

It's great to see the AI programming added to this already valuable course. Thanks!

• Vangelis AngelakisVangelis Angelakis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Save/Load system that combines C++ and Blueprints that can save a game at any given moment and load it so that the player doesn't lose a second of gameplay. There are plenty save/load system tutorials out there but they only deal with saving ints, floats and bools and not with more complicated mechanics like streaming levels, inventories, quest states/progress etc. It is a very basic function for any game and a tough one to master.

before importing. maybe how to setup blender for modeling for unreal. I've seen tutorials on how to set the units of measurements to metric, scale and rotation which makes it easier for your custom models, maps and skeletons to import into unreal.

good video that explains much of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC1_m0VdKIY

or https://rowvr.co/2015/01/03/get-from-blender-to-unreal-engine-4-quick-workflow-tips/ which comes with a default blend file already setup for users to get started.

Feedback and Knowledge Base