I would like to learn...

Learn C++ By Making Games - The Complete Unreal Developer

LIVE ON UDEMY: https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse

Game development & design made fun. Learn C++ from scratch using Unreal 4. Build your first 3D games for PC, console, and VR.

352 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StanStan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like us to dabble in the Unreal Engine code more, see how various elements connect together. Perhaps even edit the Engine's code?

• milzermilzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance of having proper player (maybe AI too) spawning/respawning after you die? Also using different game modes would be interesting instead of the default one. Think of game mode where gravity is different etc..

Both of those were left out of BattleTank, but I don't think they would be more than one lecture each.

Also online multiplayer sounds like a huge thing, but what I've understood Unreal Engine makes it actually really transparent and simple to do. At least on the very basic level :)

• Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with saving without checkpoints, is that you can end-up starting the game at a point that's impossible to recover from. Checkpoints reduce the amount that needs saving, and give a predictable starting state.

It's important not to convolute DATA level concepts like where your character is in the world, what they are carrying, and what their quest progress is with VIEW concepts such as what streaming levels are loaded, what's displaying etc.

Correct architecture will make this relatively easy. We'll ensure check saving with inventory and progress in the upcoming FPS, hence merging.

• Ben TristemAdminBen Tristem (Tutor, GameDev.TV) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is trivial to do basically, but very hard to do properly. It's easy to switch between 2 cameras, but no so easy to make a 3rd person camera work properly especially in confined spaces without clipping into walls etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to do this course have got Unreal Engine but finding it difficult to use.

• Martin B.Martin B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Showing how to create a basic settings menu, that every game should have.
        More specifically, how to access the graphics features (AA, V-Sync, all the other graphic settings that UE supports), display features (Resolution, Hz etc.), input bindings and audio settings (e.g. different volume tracks, stereo/surround etc.) and set them at run-time.

• Stephen JenkinsStephen Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

efficient algorithm for "slow" (ie not instant) moving shots hit detection.
        e.g. interpolation between two frames between projectile point a and a1, target point b and b1, was there a collision at any point between the two frames?
        Efficient implementation.
        (this may come as part of the battletank section)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base